Friday, October 14, 2016

Product Review: Brooks PureFlow 5's (Initial Impressions)

As some of you may know, Brooks is my favorite running shoe manufacturer. Brooks shoes just fit my feet right and for the price they have been my go to since 2013. I have worn a number of various lines of Brooks over the last few years and feel that I am more qualified to start speaking to the various aspects of the shoes that make them good. Since I just received my PureFlow 5's via the delivery driver today, lets begin with these new slick kicks.


The PureFlow series is described by Brooks as a neutral show that emphasizes agility and light weight feel. I would definitely agree with this description. As soon as you put them on, the weight stands out noticeably. The other thing that stands out immediately is the tongue. It seems larger and has more cushion than other Brooks shoes I have tried. I don't know why they chose to do this, but I will say that due to the larger size you will have to adjust your socks accordingly. If you wear ankle high socks like me, the tongue will rub on your leg and I had a slight abrasion after my run. Nothing significant, but the longer your run the more that will be pronounced.

I have worn the PureFlow 3's previously and enjoyed the lighter feel, but with my heavy heel striking I had some issues with the lack of heel cushion. The 5's have definitely stepped that up a little and on my first run I did not experience any issues with my heels during or after my run. The heel area also features a rounding towards the back of the sole which is designed to help with joint pain. I cannot really tell from one run if that is true or not, but I will say if you are a heavy heel striker you will have to adjust a little to the feel of the shoe on that end. It isn't a big difference, but some might notice it more than others.


One of the big changes from previous models is the flexibility of the shoe. The shoe is very bendable through the mid area and as a result you get a more natural feel while running as the shoe contours to the terrain under your feet. Brooks also added a wrap-around collar to emphasize the shoes natural feel as you run. I like the collar and would love to see that applied to some of their other shoe lines as well. While you could not describer these shoes as being stability oriented, they offer a nice middle ground. I enjoyed the more foot to the ground feel as I ran. I personally do not think I could wear these shoes for longer than 10 mile runs, but I would likely focus on speed runs with these anyhow.

The PureFlow 5's come in 4 color sets. There is a disclaimer on Brooks product page that the shoe runs a little smaller than normal. They say to adjust 1/2 size. I wear a size 10, ordered a size 10 and they fit like a size 10. Obviously if you are at the extreme of a size, then you may need to consider adjusting one way or the other, but I didn't experience any problem.

Finally, lets talk price of the shoe. Perhaps this is the best aspect. I got my pair for $55 with a coupon off Brooks website. However, right now they are listing at $72 which is still very good for a good running shoe. If you are looking for a lightweight neutral shoe for running short to mid distances, these are a good option.

Rating: 3 out of 5 (adjusted due to problem with the tongue)

11/16 Update: After logging some additional miles in the shoes I have some thoughts that may change some of your opinions. First, the tongue of the shoe is a real problem if you like to wear low cut ankle high socks. The tongue is made of a more rigid plastic material and it basically hits against the front part of your ankle while you run. Because of its rigidity this does not feel good after about 6 miles or so. I recently went to the Brooks store in Seattle and was told by one of the sales people that some have been taping the top part down, but my experience with doing that has been mixed. These shoes may require socks that extend up past your ankles. Second, the shoes feel fast. The extra flexibility in the mid section is really ideal for your sprint work outs. The lightness of the shoe feels closer to a speed shoe than a neutral, but you still get better stability especially in the heel. One thing I have noticed is that the shoe runs loud. By this I mean the sound of foot striking seems to be pronounced more so than other Brooks shoes. I am not sure if this is due to the design of the sole of the shoe or what. Just an FYI.


No comments:

Post a Comment