Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Big Wheel(s) Keep on Turning


Well I bought a bike. A real bike. So I guess its official. I am going to begin training for a triathlon. The idea for this came up when I started running with the Pacers Running Group a few weeks back. They do this cool running event called Joggers and Lagers at Port City Brewing Company in Alexandria VA. Side note: If you have not been, do make it a point to stop by. They feature a bunch of craft beers that are delicious. Over the course of these three weeks I met some folks that have completed several triathlons of various lengths and types (who knew there were different types!!!). I must look like a complete sucker to them, because now I have a $1000 bike and am looking at lap times at the local aquatic center to start swimming. What is wrong with ME?! Its actually very cool.

Back to the bike. I am pretty darn pumped about the new bike. Over the last year or so I have been riding a Mongoose mountain bike. It was a gift from some special folks (THANK YOU Big Dave and Nancy!) and it served its purpose for a while. However, it was heavy and not well situated for the type of riding I want to do. My new two wheeled ride is a Specialized Allez Sport 2017. Look at it! Its made out of space components brought back directly from Mars. At least it feels that way.


I tested it out today after picking it up from my local bike shop Spokes etc. and got a good work out in on Shirlington Hill on the way to and from the gym. Just the very fact I didn't die on the way down was promising. My feelings about the purchase were equally reinforced by being able to bike up the hill by using the proper gear ratio. Up to this point I had to walk my mountain bike up the hill and feel like a complete failure in the process. So not only does this help me physically, but also its a big boost to my self-esteem.

So the truth is I don't know much about bikes. I mean I know they have two wheels and brakes and pedals. I also know it's painful to ride long distances on a bike that is not designed for such activities. Let's hope that this bike purchase will get me into a strategic endurance exercise that will not only get me ready for a triathlon, but also help me with my running. Since I plan to run a marathon next year it would be ideal if I could plan for a triathlon a month out as a good training race. Just thinking out loud at this point, but it certainly would make for some variety in training. Variety is the spice of life or so they say. Based on my first marathon training experience, I need to do more cross training or I will likely suffer the same fate with injuries. I wish to avoid that fate at all costs.

A note about owning a competitive bike. It's expensive. I had no idea there was so much freaking equipment that was necessary to ride a bike. Seeing as I am not Donald Drumph, I will have to be incremental about buying things. I already have a good helmet and water bottle. However, I have zero cycling clothing paraphernalia. I need some diapers to alleviate the butt soreness. Can't they figure out how to make those seats more comfortable???

I will continue to update my post here as I ride more. If any of you have any suggestions for starting from scratch on a road bike in the hopes to get to 50 miles at some point, please do post some thoughts in the comments.

Update #1 - First ride planned for Sept 8 to Gravelly Point. More to follow.

Update #2 - First ride completed. It was muggy. Very glad I went in the morning as highs were expected around 100 with the heat index. I was on the commuter trail so I had to battle a bunch of stressed out riders this morning. A little crowded, but not too bad. I enjoyed the ride. I went out to 6.3 miles just past Gravelly Point and then came back through Shirlington. I was not fast, but felt like I didn't max exert either. My legs felt really good. The bike handled well. I am still getting the feel for the gears and knowing when to shift. Work in progress. I need to also learn the hand signals for turning. I get the feeling that could be important at some point. I finished my ride going up Shirlington Hill. I was slow and methodical. The legs were screaming and I was definitely huffing. Hopefully with more ride time, that will get easier. The key here is that I enjoyed it and look forward to my next ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment