Tuesday, July 19, 2016

DC Coffee Express Day One - The Wydown



My first stop on the DC coffee express was The Wydown on 14th Street.


This was the one place on my list that came with a recommendation from J-Bird. She being my Washington DC savant. I take her suggestions seriously, especially concerning coffee. So the fact that it made my list and was recommended makes this the early favorite. My first impression did nothing to alter that opinion. Let's get into the details.

Ambiance

The interior was small and cozy. It has a casual feel with black and white contrasts and minimal artwork adorning the walls. The art work that I did notice was very subdued and fit the overall aesthetic. The seating set up revolved around some high top tables, one booth, and a communal table. I sat at the corner end of the communal table and found it to be a nice spot for my purposes. The seating is not very comfortable for long periods, but that may be intentional. It was very clean with no noticeable mess anywhere. The coffee bar was efficient and all baristas that I interacted with were very pleasant. Ordering was a snap and my coffee was made available quickly. No complaints at all about the experience at The Wydown other than they offered no Wi-Fi. I don't know at this point whether DC coffee houses do not offer free Wi-Fi as a rule, but honestly there doesn't seem to be any reason to not offer Wi-Fi even if you require patrons to buy something to use it.

For the two plus hours I was there, I noticed spurts of business. I was there from 9 AM to 11 AM, which is a peak time for coffee houses in general. The walk-in traffic was handled efficiently and with a smile. I saw nothing to indicate that anyone left unhappy with the service or product.

I truly enjoyed the music. I am definitely someone who can be turned off from a retail establishment if the music seems out of touch or obnoxious. The Wydown featured a nice medley of chill electronica with some hip hop mixed in. There was even some old school Outkast and Eryka Badu! Does love! The music was not played at a high volume so you could definitely engross yourself in a good read or get some work done.

Ambiance Rating: 4


Coffee

The Wydown offers a nice selection of coffee types. They are definitely more on the coffee aficionado side of the spectrum and only offer a small number of options on the menu. However, the fact they had pour-overs, drips and espressos made me giddy. As I enjoy a good drip coffee when I get the chance, I ordered the Thunderdome. It was presented in small coffee pot and ceramic mug. It was hot and dark. Just the way I like my coffee. The coffee had a wonderful aroma and nice roasted nutty bite. Definitely not an easy morning coffee. I also tried the iced coffee heading out the door and it was a nice beverage for a hot day while walking around the city. Nothing special, but pleasant. I paid $3.95 for the Thunderdome and $2.95 for the iced coffee.

Coffee Rating: 5

Food

The Wydown does offer a selection of in house food. They feature scones, granola, cookies, muffins, yogurts, juices (variety). I tried the croissant and it was nothing special. While there are eating options here, they are focused on the quick and easy cafe bites and none of it seemed special in any way. I paid $2.25 for the croissant, which is just too much.

Food Rating: 3

The Wydown is a winner as a really good city coffee experience. One can easily pop in for some excellent pour-over or espresso and get in some reading or have a nice conversation with a neighbor. The price seemed reasonable and the service was excellent. I enjoyed the vibe and would almost certainly go back. That may be the most ringing endorsement of all. I am bumping it down one notch due to the lack of Wi-Fi. I may revise that aspect of the review after determining whether other locations offer it.

Rating: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment